On Saturday, July 23, 2011, our lives changed...
Nate and I decided that afternoon, that we should go out for dinner. We thought about having a babysitter, but decided against it because it was just easier to have the boys come with us. We decided to go to Southlands Mall (an outdoor mall), since it was close. So, around 3:15pm, we all got in the car and headed to the mall. Little did we know, it would be a LONG night.
When we arrived to the mall, I had the thought of leaving my purse in the trunk, "It's so heavy and bulky," I thought. Luckily, we had our double stroller with us so I decided to take it with us. We did some window shopping on the way to the fountains for Carson to run around in and get wet. When we got there, he said he didn't want to get wet. We then went to Noodles and Company for dinner.
We had such a nice time at dinner! Matthew slept and Carson ate his dinner well. We still had some time before we needed to head back home, so we decided to go to the fountains again. This time, Carson got wet! He had a lot of fun. We then headed home shortly before 6pm.
When we pulled up to the driveway, Nate reached for the garage door opener, and then said, "Where's the garage door opener?" "Maybe Carson and I left it in the stroller." I said. "Oh well, I'll go unlock the door and open the garage."
After we all went inside, I decided to go back to the car and look for the garage opener. I figured it had just fallen off of the visor. To my dismay, while unsuccessfully looking for the garage door opener, I realized that our Garmin GPS was gone, too. I was certain the GPS was in our car before we left! I immediately ran inside and told Nate someone had stolen our garage door opener and the GPS. Right then, Nate looked where he had left his laptop, and it was gone!!! Someone broke into our car, stole our GPS, garage door opener, and insurance car and then came and broke into our home and robbed us! How could this be? We had nothing of real value, that is, except for the laptop and my digital SLR camera, which I love--loved. Whoa, I felt sick inside. Someone had the lack of conscience and came into our home without permission! I was in shock. We quickly called the police. The thieves took most of our electronics. They even took all of Nate's 3 watches, one of which the face was scratched and the battery was dying. They also took some cologne that was 10 years old! Ha, I thought, we sure did get them! (In all reality, they got us). They also took some of our DVDs. Along with that, they took some empty DVD cases--we got them again! They took our portable DVD player and all 3 of our cameras, and my camera accessories. How sad to think that someone is living their life in such a way that they feel the urge or need to go into someone's home that is full of love and steal their stuff. Luckily, they only did take "stuff." I"m so grateful they were gone when we got home. I'm also grateful I have no idea who it was.
I hope that they do get caught by the police, however, so they do not continue this crime.
Nate and I slept horribly that night. I felt so unsafe and violated. I felt like my home was open to anyone and everyone.
Luckily, since then we have changed a lot of things we do in our home and also made our home more secure.
REALLY? Oh man! I had no idea! How rude, scary, and unnerving! I'm so sorry. So what did you have to do? change the garage door opener, locks, and everything? What a BUMMER!
ReplyDelete